Sunday, April 21, 2013

May 2013 DJCAD TBADF Assessments!


My Artist Statement and Introduction:

My name is Melynda Roy, and I am a Time Based Art and Digital Film Student here at DJCAD for what is approaching the end of a one year exchange from Virginia Commonwealth University in the U.S.A.  Most of my art is based on my belief that art is meant to be participated with, to be active, and engaging with an audience.  I try to create work that will make the audience participate in actions that are a little out-of-the-ordinary.  This is accomplished in several different mediums, involving various states of technology and the human body; often incorporated into installation works and/or video.   This semester I used “sculpture”(I use the term loosely) to force physical interaction with objects, and with other people.  My goal is to engage a community that is not only my peer and artist friends, but also people with less-creative backgrounds and of different ages.  These time-based-art projects are experimental, and I study the reactions- or lack of reactions- from the audience I present it to.
This semester my main video piece is an animation of sorts, an experience of discovery for me.  “Quirks” focuses on the overlooked details of a city (Dundee).  This was not an installation but a new form of animation. I hope that this portrayal of Dundee will influence the way that locals experience Dundee in their everyday life, and help them appreciate things they possibly hadn’t noticed before.  Furthermore, as this is to be released on the internet, this should spark inspiration for people in all places to actively look at cities, at details, and at permanent fixtures within the area they are occupying.

Please refer to Sketchbooks presented, and the files on the TBADF computer, for more digital supporting works.  

Links for the tutors: 
Supporting work: 

The driving inspiration from Michael Langan to the experimental filmmaking of "Quirks" video.
https://vimeo.com/28460672, and of course the city itself. 

And to the Robert Frost one (For style)

Other literature used/inspired:
Heidegger, Kant, Aristotle; but mainly the work of Hans George Gadamer, more specifically his view on the aesthetic and the participation in the festive act. 



No comments:

Post a Comment